"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Crossroads

The other day I was out running the our local trails. Enjoying the run, really enjoying it not just pretending to like I have been doing quite a bit lately. I came to a "T" and stopped dead in my tracks, not knowing which way to go. Of course I "knew" which way to go, I know every inch of our little trail system so it's not like there was any danger of gettting lost if I chose the wrong direction. Technically it was the start of a loop so either direction would bring me right back to where I stood pondering the direction that would carry me forward. As I stood there I thought that right then in that moment the very next decision I made would be the most important decision I would ever make in my life. I was alone and totally in the moment nothing else mattered and nothing else would ever matter. Such a simple decision that I have made without mention hundreds if not thousands of times but this time being fully aware of the decision, made everything seem more real and I felt revitalized and somehow safe in the knowledge that which ever direction I chose was the correct direction. 
Experiences like that are why I enjoy being out in nature. There is a greater power out there and sometimes you can find it or maybe it finds you. 


In case you are wondering I chose left.

1 comment:

  1. Cool.

    It's always a crapshoot for me because I really don't know my way around out there that well yet. I usually have an idea of where I am, but that's pretty much it. And yet, how do you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete