"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Paddle Storm!

Jump on over to the Rock Racing blog to get the story of what happened during our paddling (mis)adventure this morning.  Plan B was up the river, and Chuck assured me that since the Mississippi was backing up into the Cuivre there wouldn't be any current.  I am not going to say Chuck was wrong but, Chuck was wrong.  The current was very swift and we had to work our asses of just to maintain 2mph.  Without a rudder I had to constantly adjust to keep pointed upriver.  If I had tried to stop and get something to eat the current would have spun me around and sent me back down the river from whence I came.

At the rate we were going it would take us 9-12hours to reach our destination depending on when we decided to pull out.  The sudden thunderstorm that came out of no where changed our plans and had us paddling for cover.  We waited it out and headed back to where we started.  I figures that we made a good safety call and got off the river just in time for the rain to pass.  I would have stayed on the water but there was another thunderstorm (40% chance) in the forecast that I didn't want to get stuck in.

When we got back to Chuck's we unloaded that van and loaded the truck.  We talked about future paddling trips and a possible Katy trail ride.  This season is already looking to be thick with adventure, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Until next time...
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.” — John A. Shedd

1 comment:

  1. That's the kind of adventure that's a good story once you're safe. Glad you guys made it ok today.

    ReplyDelete