"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mission accomplished

Well I made it. I only broke two spokes this time, about 25 miles out. I was determined to make it but at that point I was sure I wasn’t going to make it back home. I stopped along the side of the Great River Road, river to the left and bluffs to the right. I decided to call Beth and ask her to pick me up once I got to the park, but my phone was dead. When I tried to call out it showed “emergency calls only” on the display. I thought this was an emergency! I guessed that when I got to Grafton I would use a pay phone, but the only one I saw was broken. I kept on going only much slower, before the broken spokes I was averaging over 17mph which is good for me, after I was probably doing about 13mph. After about 3 hours and 43 miles I finally arrived. I went to the lodge and reluctantly paid the desk clerk 75cents to use the phone. I called Beth and asked her to come and get me. I found a nice picnic table and ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich that I brought from home. Now all I had to do was wait. Beth arrived in a timely manner and we loaded up the bike and drove to the Cyclery and once again dropped off my bike. I am going to call them tomorrow and find out what they are going to do. I think I should get this one fixed for free or at reduced cost since it happened so soon after they fixed it. Any way the important thing is that I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment