"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

What Is It Like?

Today I took a step back from racing and stepped into the roll of team photographer for the Red 9 Runners at the AOH 5k.  It was a great experience because we all had fun and also because I got to experience what my races are like for Beth.
The first place finisher had a considerable gap on the guy in second, and it made me wonder, what is it like to be able to win a race and not have to push as hard as you can.  I usually race against my PR and people in my age group but since it is not always obvious who is in my age group I have to give it everything I have.
Now I am not saying that the winner wasn't trying but unless he was looking for a PR he could have kicked it down a notch and still won.  Maybe I am way off base here.  Maybe you should always give 100%.  But just maybe when you are out front 98% is okay as long as 98% keeps you there.
Fortunately for me I don't have to deal with these complex philosophical issues.  I'll keep running against myself, and all the other 35-39year olds, giving it all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment