"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

4:19:XX


Well the Go St Louis Marathon came and went. I didn't do as well as I wanted, but considering the time I spent training I'll just say I got what I deserved. I had some stomach issues going on which made it hard to stay hydrated. The mere thought of Gatorade and Gu made me want to throw up. When I came to one of the aid stations I grabbed a plain cup thinking it was water, but it was Gatorade instead, I really thought I was going to lose it. The only thought in my head was that I didn't want thousands of runners to have to avoid my vomit as they came into the aid station not to mention the volunteers working the station. I had a plan to finish in under 4 hours, and it would have worked had I not abandoned it around mile 6. I did exactly what I said I wasn't going to do, and went out too fast. How many times am I going to suffer through this mistake? I had to run a little faster at the beginning because I was separated from the 4 hour pace group at the start so I was playing catch up. I finally caught them around mile 6, and I felt so good I figured "why don't I just keep pushing and build up a nice cushion for later in the race?" I've watched way too many races on TV where the person behind the leader eventually catches and overtakes the leader. I should have known better. Actually I did know better which makes it worse. The 4 hour pace group which by this time consisted of the group leader and one other guy caught me around mile 20 and they were never seen nor heard from again.
Now I am more nervous about Berryman. Beth asked what I was going to do. I told her that I already paid the fee so come hell or high water I am going to run. Whatever happens happens. The good news is that I went out for a run yesterday, normally I take a week off after a marathon. My legs are still a little sore but the more I move around the better I feel and I figured I better get some miles in while it is not raining. I have a little over a month before Berryman. I have a feeling it is going to be awesome. Success or Failure either way it is going to be truly awesome.
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment