"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Routine...

It's that time of year again when I have to rearrange my training schedule.  One routine will be swapped for another.  Warmer temperatures will bring cycling and paddling into the mix.  As I think about routines and what has become routine I wonder why somethings come so easy while others are near impossible.

Routine:
Everyday at work when break time rolls around I eat a bag of Buffalo Wing and Blue Cheese potato chips, and drink a Dr Pepper.  Very healthy I know.  Don't judge.  This is so ingrained I don't even have to think about it, it's like I am on auto pilot.  The workers in the store expect to see me, and know what I am going to buy (I would like to send a shout out to LaKenya and Amanda).  Incidentally if you are wondering, those particular chips are the BEST!  If you can find them I highly recommend them.

I have tried to add weight training into my routine many times, so many times in fact you would think I would be in better shape due to all the stops and starts.  I know weight training is something that would benefit me in everyone of my chosen endeavors.  Running, cycling, mtb-ing, swimming, paddling, being awesome, etc., every one of these gets better and better with pumping iron.  So why am I so lame that I cannot stick to a routine of lifting weights?  I know I am not alone in this battle, but I can't help but feel like there is something wrong with me.

When I find the answer I will be sure to share it with the world (for a small fee of course).  I know I will find the solution because I have to be able to establish more of a routine than eating potato chips.  They are pretty tasty though!

3 comments:

  1. I can't get myself to the gym to lift weights for anything. I need a personal trainer to tell me what to do. If somebody showed me what to do and gave me a plan (of course, that wouldn't work for you because I know how much you like plans), then maybe I'd do it at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, I am so like you, no matter what I do I cannot establish a routine of weight workouts. I think it is just too slow and boring and I can't make myself do it.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the weight thing! I know I should but the gym sucks!

    ReplyDelete