"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Maiden Voyage of the Gojira Lark

So a couple weeks ago I bought a kayak, but I had to wait until my broken wrist healed a bit more before I could take it out for its maiden voyage.  Michael (my nephew) and I went out to Horseshoe Lake for a few hours.  Launching of the boat ramp was a bit tricky because it was so slippery.  I almost fell getting in.  Once I got out the water was a little choppy and I was a bit nervous about being in the boat alone.  Up until now my only kayaking experience has been in tandems rented from Grafton Canoe and Kayak Rental which if my memory serves me correctly are more stable.  It only took a few moments to get comfortable on the water and we were off.  We stayed close to shore and ended up going down a side channel that was very calm.  Once we realized the channel was a dead end we turned around and headed back to the lake.  We paddled on for a while and staying close to the shore eventually we could see the St Louis skyline in the distance and felt like we could keep going until we got there.  Obviously we were in a lake so that was not possible.
We stopped and ate some Honey Stinger Energy bars and talked strategy for the MR340.  The result of our strategy session was that we have much to learn, plan, and figure out, it is a good thing we have year to prepare.  During the meeting of the minds a small snake tried to get into Michael's kayak.  I think he was a bit freaked out I don't blame him I wouldn't want a snake in the cockpit with me either.  On that note we decided to head back toward the boat ramp.  It was harder to work against the chop on the way back but we made it and we pulled out without any problems.  It was a good day and I can't wait to get back out there again.  Over the next year I will be spending a great deal of time in the Gojira Lark, and I am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. I've got to get a kayak soon. That looks like fun. What kind of paddle is that?

    ReplyDelete