"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Welcome To The Burnout!


Yesterday was the Lewis and Clark marathon in St Charles Mo. It was my 13th race of the season. I ran the first part too fast, not because of some rookie error in race strategy, but instead because I just didn't care. I wanted to see if how long I could maintain the pace I was running. The race itself was unimportant. With 8 races left this season I am feeling pretty burned out. Today I feel better than I did yesterday, but I am still in state of general malaise regarding the rest of the season. My friend Jim came out to pace me for the last 6+ miles, and I was glad he did because misery truly does love company. Had I been alone I would have fared even worse.
Yesterday I made a lot of declarations (to Beth, not to the public). About what I was never going to do again, and how I was going to Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. But then I remembered the best piece of running advice that I ever received "Never make a decision on an uphill". That is where I find myself now on an "uphill". Once the season is over I am really looking forward to taking some time to rejuvenate and get excited about racing again. The good news is that I have something to focus on other than running.
I've already registered for the remaining races of the season so I will run them, but I will be less attached to the results and more focused on having some fun.
Things are looking better already...

No comments:

Post a Comment